“In the hands of an able cook, fish can become an inexhaustible source of perpetual delight.” -Jean Anthem Brilliat-
Fish is delicious and easy to prepare and plays a very important role in our diet. White-fleshy fish are much lower in fats than any other animal protein. Besides being a source of protein and Vitamin D, it is also the world’s best source of omega -3 fatty acids which is very important for the body and brain. There are a lot of health benefits with regard to including fish in ourdiet such as -to name a few – it helps to prevent and treat dementia, helps in maintaining good eyesight as the years go by, lowers the risk of heart attacks and strokes, prevents the brain from age related degeneration.
We love fish, our favourites are Seer fish, Indian Salmon, red snapper and white pomfret. I use Seer fish, salmon and white pomfret slices to grill and fry whereas red snapper always goes into my fish bakes – could be with pasta or without. Either ways it tastes so good . For this particular bake I have used big cubes of boneless seer fish to make the whole experience of enjoying this delectable dish memorable and fuss- free. Whenever I make this bake, I serve it with garlic bread but somehow at the end of the meal, the bake is over and the garlic bread is right there staring back at you. That sums it up- the fish bake stands alone and no one should come in the way.
Happy to be sharing this awesome recipe:
- Fish cubes-1/2 kg
- Turmeric powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Pepper- 2tsp
- Kashmiri chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
Coat the fish cubes with the above masala and lightly fry in a little oil. Keep aside.
For the masala:
- Onion- 3 chopped
- Ginger- garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Tomato chopped – 1
- Capsicum chopped – 1
- Chilli powder-1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste (if necessary)
- In a little oil, fry chopped onions till brown.
- Add ginger- garlic paste and fry well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and capsicum and fry well.
- Add chilli powder and sauté.
- Add the fish, salt and a little water if necessary and cook for a couple of minutes.
For the cheese sauce:
- Flour-3 tbsp
- Milk-2 cups
- Grated cheddar cheese -1/2 cup
- Seasoning- Salt, pepper, chilly flakes, oregano
- Melt butter in a pan.
- On a low flame add flour and mix well.
- With the help of a whisk, add a little milk and mix well to form a smooth paste.
- Add the remaining milk and stir till the sauce thickens.
- Add the seasoning and grated cheese and mix well.
- In an ovenproof dish, spread a thin layer of cheese sauce.
- Top it with the fish masala.
- Cover with remaining cheese sauce.
- Bake in a preheated oven (180 deg.c) for 25 minutes till golden brown on top.
- Serve with garlic bread.
- Always use Kashmiri chilli powder.
- The cubes of fish should be lightly fried on both sides.
- You could add capsicum to the white sauce if desired.
- The masala from the middle layer could seep out to the top, do not pay attention to it.
- This is a rich, cheesy bake with an absolute indian flavour to it.
- This bake serves 2-3.
Have a great weekend.
Till my next post,