“Soup is a lot like a family. Each ingredient enhances the others, each batch has its own ingredients; and it needs time to reach its full flavour. -Marge Kennedy
According to Virginia Woolf – Soup is cuisine’s kindest course.
Soup is basically a broth infused with flavour. It could be a clearsoup like a consommé or a smooth and thick soup like a creamy soup. It is usually served as the first course of a meal and is generally intended to just whet the appetite or it could also be a hearty meal by itself served in a bowl. Whatever the case may be a soup has to have enough liquid preparation to be sipped or eaten with a help of a spoon.
With regard to my family, when we go out for a meal, if it’s Chinese, we either order a Sweet corn chicken / crab which is the all time favourite with the young and the old – all over the world, or a Hot and sour. We also love to order a Seafood bisque which is just so flavourful and has squid, prawns, crab and even flaked fish. There are times when we skip soup and order the main course – it depends -on how hungry we are.
This is a warm soup, a not so old recipe – tried and tested a couple of times and is packed with flavour. If you happen to taste the soup before the addition of the juice of half a lemon and after you’ve added the lime juice – you will be pleasantly surprised to find out how much a little lime juice can do with the flavour of the soup. It is just so perfect. Do try it out and let me know. This is a soup you can have anytime of the year, along with some fried chicken and a hearty salad – should make a good meal .
Happy to be sharing with you,
- Butter -3 tbsp
- Chicken -250 GMs minced
- Mushrooms -1 cup minced
- Onion-1 minced
- Chilly flakes -1 tsp
- Flour- 3 heaped teaspoons
- Milk- 150ml
- Chicken stock -600 ml
- Juice of half a lemon
- Parsley to garnish
- In butter, fry minced onion till golden brown.
- Add chilly flakes and fry well.
- Add minced Mushroom and minced chicken and fry on high heat till mixture is dry and chicken is cooked.
- Turn down the heat and add flour. Mix well.
- Gradually add milk and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken stock and boil for a couple of minutes on a low flame till all the flavours are infused.
- Turn off the flame and add salt and pepper to taste.
- After a couple of minutes add lime juice and stir well.
- Garnish with parsley and serve hot.
- In case there is no chicken stock , you can dissolve a chicken soup cube in a cup of water and use accordingly. So for 600 ml you have to dissolve 3 soup cubes.
- To clean button mushrooms, rub the cut mushrooms with 2-3 tablespoons of flour and dust off the excess.
- Once the chicken stock is added and the soup is boiling on a low flame, a sprig of mint can be added to the soup . Do not forget to remove the mint fare a couple of minutes.
- The lime juice has to be added once the flame is off.
- Always use fresh, boiled and cooled milk.
- Go easy on the salt as the soup cubes are salty.
- You could serve the soup with bread croutons too.
- For bread croutons, toast bread and cut into small cubes with the help of a pair of kitchen scissors.
- Serves 4.
Till my next post,