‘Good food is the foundation of genuine happiness.’
Paneer is a rich source of milk protein obtained from curdled milk using lemon juice or any sort of fruit acid. The fat content of the paneer depends on the milk that it is made out of, it has a high protein content and above all is easily available.
I always turn to either paneer or mushroom when I run out of protein at home. It’s a universal favourite and is so versatile. At any given point, there will be at least one packet of fresh paneer in the chiller.
Paneer Lababdar is one of our family favourites, you can always substitute paneer for tofu, soya chunks, mixed vegetables, mushroom and sweet corn, to name a few.
Sharing this simple versatile recipe.
- Paneer-200 grams
- Tomatoes-2 big
- Ginger-1 inch piece chopped
- Garlic-4-6 cloves
- Green chilli-2
- Cashew nuts-2 tbsp
- Cinnamon-2 small pieces
- Green Cardamom -2
- Water-1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Onions -1 medium chopped
- Coriander powder-1and1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder-1tsp
- Cummin powder-1/2 tsp
- Garam masala-1/2 tsp
- Cream/ milk-2tbsp
- Kasturi Methi-1tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to balance out the flavour
- Coriander leaves
- Grated paneer
- Soak paneer cubes in hot water and keep aside. Grate a few cubes and keep aside
- In half to three forth cup of water, take the cut tomatoes, cashew nuts, ginger, garlic, green chilli, cinnamon, cloves and seeds of green cardamom. Bring to a boil and let it simmer till the tomatoes are soft and pulpy.
- Transfer to a mixie along with the water and keep aside to cool.
- Grind to a smooth paste.
- In a little oil or ghee, add chopped onion and sauté well.
- Add all the spice powders and ground tomato masala and fry well.
- Add 1 cup it water, stir well. Cover and cook on a low flame till oil pockets are seen.
- Add salt and sugar to taste and balance the flavour.
- Add paneer cubes, cream and Kasturi methi and boil for a couple of minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, swirls of cream and grated paneer.
- This serves 2 -4 adults.
- Paneer should be fresh. Check the date.
- If doubling the recipe, you can cook 2 tomatoes and top it with tomato purée.( for every tomato -2 tbsp)
- You can make the same dish with chicken too. Add 1 and 1/2 tsp of chilli powder.
- Instead of fresh cream, you can also use cream from boiled milk.
- Serve hot with pulao or parathas.
Till my next post