A plate of Biriyani is not just biriyani, it’s an emotion! How do you like that?
I have so many friends who are such diehard fans of Biriyani. I can assure you these friends of mine will travel from one end of town to the other end just to taste the Biriyani in a newly opened Biriyani joint. It doesn’t end there, there is a massive discussion on the spice level, the size of the meat pieces , the quantity etc. etc.
Well, I too love Biriyani. It’s a whole meal on a plate. All you need is some raita, pickle and papad.
This recipe must be 20 years old. It is just so simple. The prawns are marinated, lightly fried and added to the masala. After that, it’s layering the prawns and cooked rice alternately and baking before serving.
Christmas is just around the corner and this is a great dish to try. You have the choice to make it richer by garnishing it with caramelised onions, fried cashewnuts and kismis. Also, as mentioned later in the recipe you could make a great fish Biriyani substituting prawns for fish.
A simple recipe – you must try it out.
- Prawns – 500gms
- BIriyani-21/2 cups ( 500 grams)
- Onions -4
- Ginger- garlic-gr.chilli paste -3 tbsp
- Chilli powder-1 tsp
- Turmeric powder -1 tsp
- Coriander powder-1 tsp
- Garam masala/ Biriyani masala powder -1 tsp
- Lime juice of 1 lime
- Coriander and mint leaves -2 -3tbsp each
- Whole spices- cinnamon,cloves star anise, bayleaf,cardamom seeds
- Salt and ghee
- Clean and soak rice in plenty of water for 1/2 an hour. Drain the rice and keep it aside.
- Rub chilli and turmeric powder and 1 tbsp of ginger- garlic – green chilli paste along with salt on the cleaned prawns and keep aside for 20 minutes. Shallow fry and keep aside.
- Add whole spices to lots of water and bring to boil.
- Add salt and rice and cook till 3/4 done. Drain the excess water and keep aside to cool.
- In some oil and ghee, fry the sliced onions till soft and brown.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of ginger- garlic-green chilli paste and fry well.
- Add coriander and Garam masala powder and fry well.
- Add the fried prawns, 1/2 cup of water and bring to boil.
- Add lime juice, salt, coriander and mint leaves and mix well.
- The prawn mixture should be thick. Taste and check if salt is required.
- Take a vessel, add a tablespoon of ghee and warm the vessel.
- Spread a thick layer of cooked rice, on top of the rice layer, spread the whole prawn mixture, sprinkle some coriander and mint leaves and top with another layer of cooked rice( the rest of it).
- Add a little ghee on top, cover with a lid and bake for 15-20 minutes before serving.
- Serve with raita and papad.
- The prawns should be medium size, deveined and cleaned thoroughly.
- For every cup of rice, add 2 green chillies, so for 21/2 cups, add 5 green chillies.
- The prawns can be substituted for seer fish cubes but not chicken or any meat for that matter.
- Cooking the rice in a mixture of water and coconut milk adds flavour to the Biriyani.( absorption method, ratio of rice to water 1:13/4)
- Always buy good quality Basmati rice.
- This serves 4-5.
Till my next post,