‘Keep calm and put some butter on it.’
Who does not like Garlic butter prawns? Lots of garlic, butter and prawns. As simple as that.
A wonderful protein that takes the shortest time to cook. For medium sized prawns, 3-5 minutes should do. For large prawns, it takes 5-7 minutes.
As a family, we make a note of what’s good at each restaurant we dine in. It makes it so much easier when friends and family drop in. All we have to do is ask them their food preference. Well, Tangerine for good continental, Harrisons of course for Chinese and Basil with a twist for prawns and seafood. These are just a few of our favourite places – tried and tested umpteen times .
This recipe is simple, easy and packed with flavour. Happy to be sharing this recipe with you.
- Prawns -1/2 kg cleaned
- Onions -4 sliced fine
- Ginger- garlic paste -1 tbsp
- Chilli powder -2-3 tbsp
- Turmeric powder -2 tsp
- Pepper-1 tbsp
- Tomato purée-1 tbsp ( tetrapack/ fresh)
- Garam masala-1 tsp
- Curry leaves to fry -4-5 sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Sugar – a big pinch
- Coconut oil -1 tsps
- Oil -3 -4 tbsp
- Wash, clean and devein prawns.
- Rub a teaspoon of turmeric and a little salt and keep aside.
- In hot oil, fry sliced onion till golden brown. ( not crisp)
- Add ginger- garlic paste and fry well.
- Add all the powders, tomato purée, sugar and fry well for 3-4 minutes.
- Add half a cup of water, mix well, cover and cook on a low flame till oi bubbles appear on the surface. Add salt to taste.
- Add the prawns and cook uncovered for 4-5 minutes on medium high heat, stir well once in between. ( till the prawns turn opaque)
- Remove, cover and keep aside.
- Into some very hot oil, add lots of curry leaves and fry till crisp. Remove and powder with fingertips.
- To the cooked prawns, add crushed curry leaves and coconut oil(1 tsp).
- Cover and keep for 5 minutes.
- Serve with parathas.
- To get 1/2 kg of cleaned prawns, you must buy 1 kilo.
- Always devein prawns with the help of a small pair of scissor / fork.
- The chilli powder used here is Kashmiri chilli powder.
- You could add a couple of fried cashewnuts just before serving.
- The recipe of layered parathas is on the website.
- This serves 6-8.
- Serve this wonderful flavoursome preparation with layered or flaky parathas.
Till my next post,