“I’ve never met a problem that cheese couldn’t solve.” – a wise guy.
My version of a cheese toast – it’s got chilli powder, flour, egg, milk and oodles of cheese – baked! It’s simple and delicious, the ideal snack you’d like to bite into on a cloudy day. Could be fried too.
All of us love cheese toast, a sprinkle of very finely chopped green chillies too is welcome, as a family we love spicy food so a little more of spice does not really make a difference. I always use a day or two day old bread so that its a little dry and not as moist, furthermore if frying the cheese toast, a day old bread turns out crispy and toasty.
If you have no choice but to use fresh bread, you could always toast the bread to remove any moisture or even run it in your microwave for 20 seconds and then apply the cheese paste on top- either ways- it’s a winner and the cheese grated and folded in is the hero.
The simplest version of a cheese toast would be – butter a toast, spread a slice of cheese and microwave for 25 seconds. That’s it! The cheese is all gooey and just yumm!
Cheese Toast -a much loved snack for any age – it’s a favourite for the young and the old:
- Flour-2 tbsp
- Baking powder- 1/4 tsp
- Cheddar Cheese grated- 100 grams
- Chilly powder-1 tbsp
- Pepper powder-1 tsp
- Egg -1 beaten
- Milk- 2-3 tbsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Capsicum minced – 2 tbsp
- Butter-2 tbsp
- Bread slices – 4-5
- A sprinkle of herbs
- Toast the bread if fresh. Cut into rounds.
- Apply butter on one side.
- In a small bowl blend in all the ingredients together, except butter till a paste is formed, if thick thin it down with a tablespoon of milk.
- Sprinkle with herbs.
- Pile on the cheese mixture on top of the buttered bread and bake under a preheated grill 200deg.c for 10-12 minutes- till the cheese is bubbling and brown.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce.
- Since cheese is salty, be careful of the salt you add while blending all the ingredients together.
- While frying this snack, once the oil is hot, cut each bread into cubes and put paste side down first into the oil.
- Fry for a minute or so and then overturn. Once fried, remove to a tissue to absorb the excess oil and then serve.
- This serves 2-3 people.
Till my next post,
Hello. This looks great and wouldn’t mind trying it soon.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Please do 🙂 Enjoy the recipes on my blog.
LikeLiked by 1 person