Paneer or cottage cheese is a common protein used in South Asian cuisine. It is usually found in Indian, Pakistani, Nepali, Afghani and Bangladeshi cuisines. It is made by curdling hot milk with either lime juice, vinegar or any other food acid. Paneer in addition to being a good protein specially to the vegetarians – also contains calcium, vitaminA, vitaminC and Iron.
At home I cook Paneer at least once a week- could be a bake, a salad, or a grill, just a simple curry or even a Pulao. All of us love Paneer specially my children. This particular dish doubles up as a Starter or as an accompaniment. It’s simple, tasty, and very little oil/ ghee has been used. It could find a place on your weekly menu. I make this quite often at home and usually serve it with raita and methi parathas. Food is memories.
Here goes the recipe :
- Paneer- 400gms
- Ginger- garlic paste -2 tbsp
- Kashmiri chilli powder- 2tbsp
- Garam masala- 1 tbsp
- Pepper powder-1 tsp
- Coriander powder1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Cummin powder- 1 tsp
- Curd -2 tbsp
- Lime juice of 1 lime
- Onions -2 thickly sliced
- Capsicum -2 cut into wedges
- Remaining marinade
- Oil/ ghee-2 tbsp
- Paneer should be cut into big squares and placed in warm water for 10 minutes . Drain thoroughly.
- In a bowl take all the ingredients and mix well.
- Take paneer squares,apply masala on both sides and keep aside for half an hour.
- Take a nonstick pan and apply a teaspoon of vegetable oil or ghee. Warm .
- Place the paneer squares and arrange closely.
- On a medium flame, let the paneer cook for a couple of minutes.
- Overturn and cook the other side too.
- In another pan, fry thickly sliced onions lightly.
- Add wedges of capsicum and remaining marinade and fry on high heat till all the liquid dries up.
- Spread the onion- capsicum mixture on top of the grilled paneer and serve hot.
- Whenever you buy paneer check the date, should be as recent as possible .
- Nothing like fresh paneer sold by the kilo – much better than packaged.
- Apply a tablespoon or two of oil/ ghee and spread evenly on the non-stick pan before placing the paneer.
- Alternately, you could grill the paneer in an oven, microwave or a tandoor.
- Leave the paneer to cook before turning over.
- Over handling of the paneer could make the paneer crumble and break .
- The left over marinade should be fried till absolutely dry along with the onions and capsicum.
Three things are needed for a Good Life – Good Friends, Good Food and Good Song.
Till my next post,