This is a deceptively simple dish. It’s a bake with a combination of flavours you will love. This particular bake has a surprising twist to it- fried, crispy onions as a topping! I am sure this bake will definitely please you and your family. It is the perfect one-dish dinner- no accompaniments needed. From start to finish –this bake takes about an hour or so to prepare (inclusive of cooking time). It’s fast and easy and it’s a delicious bake to serve for dinner any night of the week.
I love Christmas and being a part of a big, wonderful family- a family that comes together every Christmas- year after year makes it all the more special. Christmas 2016 was memorable. There were around 30 of us at home this year. For my parents – this year was special – their great grandchildren all the way from US were part of the celebration. Unforgettable …….
Well, meals had to be planned carefully – had to be simple and fast. This particular bake was made with one and a half kilos of shredded chicken. Two huge trays wiped clean –well worth the effort. I was a happy soul. From Sid, my grandnephew – who is little over a year old, to my dad – everybody enjoyed this bake – so full of flavor.
Happy to be sharing this recipe with you
- Chicken -1/2kg
- Any pasta -1 cup
- Capsicum – 1 each of red, green and yellow
- Crispy bacon bits-1 cup
- Onions sliced: 2-3
- Onions minced – 2
- Garlic cloves: 6-8
- Flour: 2-3 tbsp
- Milk -2 cups
- Oregano and Parsley to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Butter and any Vegetable oil
- Cook the boneless chicken in a litre of water to which salt and pepper has been added. Shred the chicken with a pair of kitchen scissors and keep aside.
- Bring lots of water to boil, add pasta and cool on a high flame for 10-12 minutes. Drain under cold water, sprinkle a teaspoon of oil over the pasta and mix lightly. Keep aside.
- Mince all the three capsicums. Keep aside a tablespoon of each.
- Fry sliced onions till golden brown and crisp. Keep aside.
- Mince garlic cloves.
- In a mixture of butter and oil, fry the minced garlic till fragrant.
- Add the minced onions and fry well.
- Add the minced capsicums and crispy bacon bits and mix well.
- Add the shredded chicken and pasta and mix well.
- Add oregano, parsley, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add flour and mix well.
- To the chicken mixture add 2 cups of milk and bring to a boil.
- Stir continuously till thick. Check for seasoning.
- Pour into a buttered dish, sprinkle fried onions, minced capsicum that was kept aside and bake in a preheated oven 180 deg.c for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with hot garlic bread.
- The water in which the chicken was cooked can be used as a stock for making soup.
- To fry the sliced onions faster, sprinkle some salt after you put the onions in.
- This whole bake was put in a single dish, including the white sauce – if you want to make the white sauce separately, please do so and add the chicken mixture to the sauce. Mix well.
- Keep tasting while cooking.
- This bake serves 3-4.
Cooking is the art of adjustment. –Jacques Pepin
Till my next post,
It is coming up on my dinner table tonight ….Friday the 13th…….
Waiting for a feedback Elsie . It’s the ideal weekend dinner!
Yes indeed!!! Christmas at home wad unforgettable….but so was your bake and all the other yum stuff you made for us. What amazes me about you is that even though you too are on holiday you never tire of slogging away in the kitchen to make dishes for us. Thanks for being such an awesome sis and chef!!!
Am totally blown away by your comments Mary ! Thank you! It was a real pleasure, cooking for family . The biggest and the best family ever!!