Roast chicken – perfectly marinated, baked to perfection and out of this world. As simple as that!
All of us love roast chicken-crispy skin, succulent meat and to be frank- a meal by itself. You have mashed potatoes, vegetables and soft juicy chicken. With Christmas around the corner I thought it would be apt to share with you a simple recipe for roast chicken.
My grandmother used just three ingredients for roast chicken – butter, salt and pepper and it was amazing – crispy brown skin and chicken -soft and moist. Always a hit every time she made it. Of course, she was very liberal with the butter scrub all over the chicken -plain Amul butter! We used to call her ‘mamma ‘. She was such a gracious lady – impeccably dressed always, read Mills & boon till she was in her seventies, played bridge, listened to music, loved knitting, played the piano and above all loved putting our babies to sleep. We still talk about her when all of us get together and we miss her! She was one helluva grandma! She too was a Rose – I am named after her.
At home, the children prefer grilled or roast chicken – maybe it’s because of the less oil used in its preparation and it’s an olive oil scrub – which is healthy after all. Sometime back when I’d made roast chicken, all the children wanted was slices of toasted bread to go with it. Well, it works just fine with me!
Mark this recipe and try it out once before Christmas. It’s really good!
- Chicken -1.2 kg
- Olive oil / veg oil/ butter melted – 5-6 tbsp
- Ginger- garlic paste -2 tbsp
- Kashmiri Chilli powder/ paprika -1 tbsp
- Thyme seasoning – 1tsp
- Black pepper-1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Baby Potatoes or potatoes-2 cut into thick long slices
- Baby carrots or carrots – 2 cut into thick long slices
- Broccoli- 1/4 cut into flowerets
- Lime – 1 big
- Garlic cloves -3-4
- Onion- 1 small
- Flour if needed
- Take a large baking dish and put in the vegetables.
- Sprinkle some olive oil, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Pat dry the chicken and keep aside. Apply olive oil/ veg.oil or melted butter generously all over – both sides.
- In a bowl take ginger- garlic paste, chilli powder, pepper, thyme seasoning salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Apply the spicemix on the chicken generously all over.
- Into the cavity of the chicken, squeeze the juice of one big lime and place the lime skin inside along with garlic cloves and small onion whole.
- Tie the legs together with a thin strip of aluminium foil twisted or with a kitchen string.
- Preheat the oven to 200 deg .c.
- Place the chicken in the center of the oven and let it cook for one to one and a quarter hours .
- After an hour prick with a fork and check to see if the chicken is cooked.
- For a crispy golden brown skin, brush with melted butter, sprinkle a little flour, and continue baking.
- Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes.
- Remove the aluminium foil, lime skin, garlic cloves and onion from the cavity of the chicken.
- Slice and serve hot with mashed potato.
For mashed potato:
Steam 1/2 kg potatoes whole till soft. Mash well. Heat up 1/2 cup of milk with 2 tbsp of salted butter. With the help of an electric beater, pour the milk mixture into the mashed potato and cream well. Season with salt and pepper. If required, add a tablespoon of melted butter on top and mix well. Serve warm.
- Always buy small chickens for roasting – the meat is tender and cooking time is less.
- Pat dry the chicken before rubbing the spice mix all over.
- If you can marinate the chicken overnight, nothing like it.
- You could also use half a teaspoon each of rosemary and parsley if it’s available in your pantry.
- For mashed potatoes -remove the skin of the potatoes and steam them – mash when hot.
- You could sprinkle some cut chives on top.
- This roast chicken serves 4-5.
” Anyone can make a good roast chicken. “- Thomas Keller
So go ahead and surprise all at home this Christmas!
Till my next post,