Ever since I tasted this cake at a friends place roughly 2 years back, I’ve always wanted to try it out and have been on the lookout for a simple no – fuss recipe that i could share with family and friends and which would give me immense satisfaction at the end of it. Time and effort well spent, I should say. It’s the spice of ginger and the whole spice powder and the warmth of the cinnamon powder that tickles your palate at every bite and you just want to savor the moment. With three awesome recipes in my hand, I compiled a recipe which I knew would blow you away. Easy, could double up as a teatime treat or as a dessert too! It’s a cake recipe like any other but the sweetness of the jaggery balances out the spice so beautifully, your kind of taken aback! I was!
Sharing an all – time favourite cake recipe ….
- Flour -2 cups
- Ginger ground -3 tbsp
- Baking soda -1/2 tsp
- Baking powder-1 and 1/2
- Cinnamon powder-2 tsp
- Salt -1/2 tsp
- Ground all spice – 1 tsp
- (cloves-2, cinnamon-2 and nutmeg -1 – all powdered)
- Buttermilk-1/2 cup
- Eggs -2 large
- Demerrara Sugar – 1 cup (powdered)
- Melted jaggery -1/2 cup
- Vanilla essence -2 tsp
- To the flour add all- spice powder, Cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- To the butter add ground ginger and powdered sugar, beat well till light in colour.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Add melted jaggery and beat well again.
- Alternate between flour mixture and buttermilk and fold into the mixture.
- Add vanilla essence and mix well.
- Pour into a greased and dusted cake tin and bake in a preheated oven at 180 deg.c for 40 minutes.
- Serve warm with lemon cream.
To a cup of icing sugar add a few drops of lime juice and stir well. If required add a teaspoon of water.
- Ginger should be freshly ground.
- Add only a tsp of all- spice powder, the remaining can be stored.
- The melted jaggery should always be strained before use.
- This cake tastes better the day after it has been baked and the left over cake need not be stored in the fridge.
“A homemade, home baked and handcrafted cake makes any occasion more joyous.”
Till my next post,