“Someone has to stand up and say the answer is not another pill. The answer is SPINACH.” -Bill Mayer
LOW in calories and HIGH on nutrients – that’s SPINACH for you.
Spinach is not only tasty but has innumerable health benefits. It is rich in fiber, Iron, Vitamin K and Vitamin A. Spinach helps to fight diseases and prevents osteoporosis, colon cancer and arthritis. In addition, spinach is also rich in antioxidants and possesses nutrients which can help reduce inflammation throughout the body.
Ever since I started this blog four month back I have started unearthing recipes I’ve had bookmarked for the last decade or so from various books and files – all piled one on top of the other. It’s amazing the vast array of recipes I’ve come across – some barely visible to the eye. Spinach is a very versatile vegetable and is teamed up with most of the proteins – be it chicken, fish, cottage cheese or just plain cheddar cheese. The creaminess of the cheesy white sauce folded into the cooked spinach is what makes this casserole – unparalleled in taste and second to none!
- Spinach-2 cups chopped
- Onion- 2 minced (1 cup)
- Green chillies-3-4 minced
- Butter- 2 tbsp
- White sauce-11/2 cup
- Breadcrumbs- 1/2cup (keep aside 1-2 tbsps)
- Cheddar Cheese grated-50 gms
- Chop spinach finely.
- Heat butter, fry minced onion and minced green chillies.
- Add spinach and fry on a low flame till cooked.
- When it is nearly done fold in the white sauce, breadcrumbs and grated cheese. Mix well.
- Pour spinach mixture into a greased pie dish, sprinkle breadcrumbs on top and bake in a preheated oven at 180deg.c for 30 minutes
- Serve with garlic bread.
For the white sauce:
- Butter-2 tbsp
- Milk-2 cups
- Seasoning to be added as desired- mustard powder, chilli flakes, salt and pepper. (1/4 -1/2 tsp of each)
For garlic bread: For a loaf
- Butter – 100 gms
- Garlic -4-6 cloves
- A pinch of oregano
- Blend all the above ingredients till smooth.
- Take a loaf of bread and apply the garlic butter on the slices.
- Wrap the loaf in foil and bake in a preheated oven 165 deg c for 15-20 minutes.
- Spinach should be cooked in an open pan to retain the colour.
- A pinch of Garam masala added to the white sauce lends a lovely flavour to the sauce.
- Instead of grated cheese you could add 2-3 tbsp of cheese spread or even 2 slices of cheese, stir well till it dissolves.
- Keep aside a tbsp or two of breadcrumbs to sprinkle on top.
- Keeping in mind the salt content of the cheese, add salt if required.
- A few crumbles of fried bacon added to the casserole would just make this dish all the more irresistible.
- Serves 2-4.
Till my next post