This dessert – Lemon Cream is a happy ending to any meal – special or not. It has a beautiful pale yellow colour and is light and airy. It’s tangy, sweet and lemony all at the same time, fast to prepare and involves no cooking, chills well and is a great dessert you could make the previous day. I call it my ‘Sunshine Dessert.’
No one will be able to resist this dessert. Try it out once and you’ll see what I mean.
This is one of those desserts you could double or triple the quantity, be fearless and have a winner at the end of it. I have made this dessert for close to 60 people and it’s turned out just great. It’s effortless and as there’s no cooking involved or rather no custard to be stirred, all you have to pay attention to is the quantity of each ingredient required. I remember the first time my mom tasted it, she just loved it and asked me how I’d made it. When I explained to her that this dessert did not require cooking, she was kind of taken aback. Mom is the one who told me to fold in a teaspoon of lemon rind into the lemon mixture before chilling it. I have followed it ever since and it does make a difference. My mom is my inspiration.
Here goes the recipe:
- Lime juice -1/4 cup (juice of 3 medium limes)
- Gelatin- 1 tbsp
- Water -1 cup
- Sugar-3/4 cup
- Eggs-3 (separated)
- Cream- 1 cup
- Lemon rind -2 tsp, a tsp to garnish and a tsp to fold in
- Soak powdered gelatin in 1/4 cup of water for 10 minutes.
- Add 3/4 cup of boiling water and stir till the gelatin dissolves.
- Whisk the egg yolks along with 1/2 cup of sugar till pale in colour.
- Add lime juice and melted gelatin and beat well.
- Whisk the egg whites stiff along with the remaining (1/4 cup) sugar.
- To the lime mixture, fold in the whipped cream and stiffly beaten egg whites.
- On high speed, beat well for 2-3 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and add a tsp of grated lemon rind.
- Pour into a bowl and chill for 2-3 hours.
- Unmould and decorate with lemon rind or toasted chopped almonds.
Prep. time- 20 minutes. Serves -4-6
- When a dessert is placed in front of us, we eat with our eyes first – eye appeal is so important. A dessert has to look as good as it tastes.
- Attention has to be paid to a contrast of textures – like roughly chopped toasted almonds for a smooth and creamy dessert.
- The portion size has to be consistent – if serving for a large gathering.
- All garnishes have to be edible.
- The container to serve the dessert has to be chosen carefully.
- You could get creative and dramatic while serving a dessert.
- The final mixture has to be strained before folding in the grated lemon rind.
- One tablespoon of powdered gelatin is equivalent to 11 grams.
- If a drop of egg yolk falls into the egg- white, remove the egg- yolk with the help of a small piece of egg shell.
- Serves 4-6.
Cook with your heart and serve it with love- it’s a sure winner!
Till my next post