Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first. -Ernestine Ulmer.
Apple crumble is a relatively modern dish as compared to Apple pie. The basic difference between Apple pie and Apple crumble is in the case of Apple pie the apples are sliced, cooked and sandwiched between two layers of pastry but in the case of Apple crumble it’s the apples at the base of the dish covered with a crisp, healthy crumble on top. Apple crumble is also known as Apple Crisp specially in America and Canada.
Traditionally Apple crumble was served with custard but today it is served with fresh cream or ice- cream.
It’s just amazing that behind these very special recipes of mine there are childhood memories attached to each one. What I find so amazing is – as I punch in these recipes -suddenly the clock stops ticking, it’s a flashback and all these memories come gushing back and I just feel they have to be shared because no matter what happens, some memories cannot be erased. There is a fond childhood memory attached to this recipe too.
When we were growing up, Aunt Daphne and Uncle Taylor Martin used to visit us all the way from Spain every 2-3 years. Incidentally uncle and dad worked at the Refineries together before Uncle retired and settled down in Spain. Mom and dad, uncle and aunty – What made this friendship even more special was that their youngest daughter Ina and my youngest sister Tessa were of the same age, in fact they were my bridesmaids for my wedding. They were family. Every time Aunty Daphne came visiting, she used to cook up an awesome spaghetti and meatballs and for dessert it used to be The Americano Apple Pie. The pastry was so flaky and the apples were cooked before arranging them in a thick layer – it was just so good – heaven on earth! The whole house used to smell so divine.
Those were the days my friend…….
Coming back to Apple crumble, it’s a dessert I make quite often sometimes using pears too. If your crumble is too thin a layer on top, chances of the Apple syrup from the base oozing out from the crumble on top is high and this could spoil your chances of a crisp crust. I’ve tweaked the recipe a little and once you’ve had this – you’ll know why!
It’s the perfect recipe for an awesome, gooey Apple dessert with a crisp healthy crust.
- Apples-2-4 (medium)
- Condensed milk- 1 small tin (200gms)
- Butter- 50 gms
For the crumble:
- Wheat flour- 11/2 cup
- Oats- 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon powder-1 tbsp
- Chilled butter- 75 gms (keep aside 3 tbsp of butter)
- Brown sugar- 3 tbsp +1 tbsp (separate)
- Walnuts- 2 tbsp (crushed coarsely) – optional
- In a bowl, mix sliced apples with 1 tsp of lime juice ,4-6 tbsp of sugar, 1/2 tsp of cinnamon powder, 1-2 tbsp of corn flour and 2-3 tbsp of water.
- In a greased baking dish spread the Apple mixture and smoothen evenly.
- Heat condensed milk and butter and pour on top of apples.
- Crush the oats and wheat flour coarsely for a couple of SECONDS in the food processor.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix to a crumble using fingertips
- Spread the crumble on top, sprinkle 1tbsp of brown sugar on top and back in a preheated open 170 deg.c for 30-40 minutes.
- After 30 minutes melt the 3tbsp of butter kept aside and drizzle on top of the crumble.
- Return to bake for 10 mintues more.
- Serve with ice- cream or fresh cream.
- In the place of apples, you could use blackberries, blueberries and even plums- you could combine two fruits too.
- Pecans or hazelnuts could be used in the place of walnuts.
- It’s always better to rub the chilled butter into the flour with your fingertips rather than running the mixture in your food processor.
- You could sprinkle 1/4 cup of muesli and a little brown sugar on top of the crust before baking.
- Serves 4.
The Apple crumble is so warm and comforting, it’s sweet, oaty and crunchy. Once you get it right, it wraps up everything you wanted in a dessert.
Stressed spelt backwards is desserts- COINCIDENCE? I think not! – Author unknown
Just go ahead and destress!
Till my next post