“To remember a successful salad is generally to remember a successful dinner, at all events, the perfect dinner necessarily includes the perfect salad.” George Ellwanger
A salad can be an appetiser, a side- dish, a main course or even a dessert. They are generally served cold and definitely add colour and excitement to the meal. Basically a salad is a dish that contains a mixture of vegetables, fruits, meats and cheeses mixed and blended with a salad dressing. A salad dressing can be a simple vinaigrette (a mixture of salad oil and vinegar mixed together with spices and seasoning) or can be creamy (mayonnaise, hung curd or even thick buttermilk). Whatever the combination maybe – fruits and vegetables, tossing and preparing the salad below will give you immense pleasure and you’ll be a happy soul at the end of it all.
When I was growing up, salads were just basic ingredients like onions and grated carrots, a few slices of tomato, minced green chillies and the seasoning -salt, pepper and a few drops of vinegar. That’s it!!! Now to the present – you have a wide variety of vegetables, fruits, cheese and you can substitute with whatever is available in the kitchen. The list is endless.
Summer splash is the kind of salad you’ll hope that there are left overs. The deadly combination of pineapple and cheese and mayonnaise will make you crave for more and more and…
- Pineapple slices-1 small tin (cut into strips)
- Cheese cubes-3-4 (cut into small squares)
- Celery stalks-3-4 (chopped)
- Tomatoes -2-3 big (deseeded and cut into strips)
- Capsicum -1 yellow and 1 green (cut into strips)
- Walnuts/ cashew nuts -1/2 cup (roasted lightly and crushed Coarsely)
- Macaroni – 1/2 cup (boiled) – optional
- Mayonnaise- 1 cup diluted with 1/4 cup vinegar
- Salt, pepper and sugar
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients for the salad – keep aside a few pineapple strips and cheese cubes for garnish)
- Add the dressing, taste for balance in flavours. Serve chilled.
- In the place of walnuts, you can substitute fried bread croutons or 1/4 cup of fried potato chips crumbled on top just before serving.
- Keep aside 2-3 tbsp of dressing- just before you serve a salad, smoothen the top of the salad with the dressing kept aside.
- Salads should always be served chilled.
- If using fresh pineapple, chop into strips and stew in a little water (1/2 cup) and sugar (3-4 tbsp) for about 15-20 minutes. Strain and use.
- Always use fresh, firm and crispy vegetables for salads.
- When apples are in season – try out the recipe with Apple cubes.
- Serves 4-6.
When it comes to this particular salad, my daughter Rhea just forgets she can’t have cheese. She can have this salad 3 times a day and will look for left overs the next day. This is her all-time favourite. The final push to start this food blog came from my daughter and I’m happy at the feedback and comments I’ve been getting from my dear friends and family.
Try this salad just once and it’ll be your favourite too. Happy to be sharing a very dear recipe of mine.
Till my next post