You can make any occasion a festive one by serving a slice of cake at the end of a meal.
There are a couple of do’s and don’ts when you come across a recipe you’d like to have a go at. Go through the recipe and see if you have all the ingredients. Prepping for a cake is easy and putting all the ingredients together to make this fabulous cake is even easier.
Basic measurements that every baker should know:
- Butter -200 gm = 1 cup (2 nos -100 gm slabs)
- Sugar – 200 gm =1 cup
- Flour – 200 gm= 1 3/4 cup cos ‘ 1 cup of Flour = 125 gm
- Vanilla essence – 1 tablespoon or 1 tbsp = 3 teaspoon or 3 tsp
- Do not open the oven door till 3/4 of the baking time is over.
- The cake tin should be filled 3/4 with the cake batter. There should be at least 2 to 3 inch space above the cake batter.
- Butter-200gm/ 1 cup. Any table butter
- Sugar-200 gm /1 cup
- Eggs- 4
- Vanilla extract- 1 tbsp
- Flour- 200 gm / 1 3/4 cup
- Baking powder- 1 1/2 tsp
- Milk- 1/2 cup
- Sift Flour and baking powder together and keep aside.
- Coarsely powder the sugar in the Food Processor and transfer to a bowl.
- Warm the butter. (10 sec.in the microwave) in a mixing bowl.
- Break 4 eggs into a small bowl and keep aside.
- Preheat oven to 180 deg.c
- Grease a cake tin lightly with butter and dust with flour. Remove excess.
- Cream butter and sugar with an electric beater till smooth and glossy. (a minute or so)
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract and blend with the beater.
- Add sifted flour and fold in with the egg beater.
- Finally Add milk, fold into the cake batter and pour into a greased and dusted cake tin.
- In case the cake batter curdles at this point Add 2tbsp of Flour
- Bake at 180 deg.c for 40 minutes in a preheated oven, a toothpick inserted in the centre should come out clean.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve. Enjoy!
Chefs tips and Variations:
- You could add the juice of 2 limes to the batter for a Lemon Tea Cake.
- A tablespoon of instant coffee could be dissolved in 1/2 cup of milk mentioned and added to the batter for a Coffee Cake.
- 2-3 tablespoon of cocoa could also be dissolved in 1/2 cup of milk mentioned for a Light Chocolate Cake
- A mixture of 2 tbsp of coffee and 3 tbsp of cocoa dissolved in 1/2 cup of milk could give you a Mocha Cake.
- For an Eggless Vanilla Cake you could substitute each egg for 1 /4 cup of yoghurt/ curd or 1/2 cup of mashed banana, so for the recipe above which calls for 4 eggs- you could add 1 cup of yoghurt and 1 cup of mashed banana.
- For a Caramel Cake you could add 1/4 cup of caramel syrup to the cake. (caramel syrup using 1/2 cup of sugar)
- Infact a couple of months back I tried out using the same recipe with a blend of cinnamon, coffee and vanilla and the result – the cake lasted hardly a day!
- The weight of the cake would be approximately a kilogram .
Till my Next post