Easter is around the corner, and I thought I would put up a recipe for a simple, delicious cake all of you could try this Easter. All the ingredients are easily available in your kitchen and let me tell you, this cake could be the showstopper.
I love baking and trying out different flavours and combinations. My friends and family are the ones who get to taste and give an honest feedback on the new flavours with regard to texture, softness and feel of the cake.
Cakes are special and it’s like the easiest way to make the sweetest memories- everytime you bake a cake.
This is a recipe I came across recently. Try it out and do let me know.
- Butter – 1cup
- Sugar – 2 and a 1/2 cups
- Eggs- 4
- White flour-3 cups
- Baking powder-2 and a 1/2 level teaspoons
- Walnuts-1/2 cup crushed coarsely
- Hot milk-1 cup
- Vanilla essence-2 tsp
- Cinnamon powder-1tsp
- Salt – a pinch ( optional)
For the Vanilla Glaze
- Butter-2 tbsp (melted)
- Icing sugar 1 cup( sifted)
- Vanilla essence -2 tsp
- Milk-2 tbsp (if required)
- Preheat oven to 180 deg.c.
- All the ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Sift the flour with baking powder and add cinnamon powder to the flour.
- Add vanilla essence to the butter mixture and mix well.
- Fold in the flour mixture and milk alternately.
- Fold in the crushed walnuts gently.
- Pour into a greased tin, place it in the Center of the oven and bake for an hour.
- This is a 11/2 kg cake. Do not open the oven door.
- Poke a skewer in the middle and test if done.
- Once done, remove the cake from the oven and keep aside to cool.
- Drizzle the cake with the vanilla glaze and sprinkle chopped walnuts.
For the vanilla glaze:
- To the melted butter, add the sieved icing sugar and vanilla essence and stir well till smooth and shiny.
- Add vanilla essence and mix well.
- If the mixture is too thick, add 2 tablespoons of milk and stir well.
- If using Amul butter, do not add salt. Otherwise always add a pinch of salt.
- Sugar should be measured out and then powdered.
- In the place of cinnamon you can add 1 tbsp of instant coffee or Cadbury cocoa for a different flavour.
- The batter should be of pouring consistency.
- Once the cake is done, let it cool on the wire rack for 20 minutes before turning it out into a plate.
- This cake serves 12.
Till my next post,