“Follow your bliss especially when it leads you to the smell of a well – cooked chicken curry.”
Chicken is such a versatile protein, there is so much you can do. We, as a family love chicken and let me tell you there are so many lip- smacking options .
This spicy chicken is a dry preparation and is unusual to say the least, marinated in all the spices mixed along with jaggery and tamarind ?Well, the flavour is sweet, salt tangy and of course spicy. You could have this chicken as a starter or as part of the main menu. Either ways you are a happy soul. Whenever I select recipes for the blog, I see to it that it’s simple and all the ingredients are easily available in the kitchen. A person going through the recipe should want to try it out and if you love Indian cuisine then this dish is for you.
I would say this dish is aromatic with a heady mix of spices and herbs and this dish could make your meal a super treat. Happy to be sharing this recipe. Do try it out and let me know.
- Chicken -1 kg
For the marinade:
- Coriander powder 3 tbsp
- Cummin powder -1 tbsp
- Fennel / saunf-11/2 tbsp
- Kashmiri Chilli powder-3 tbsp
- Ginger- garlic paste -2 tbsp
- Jaggery -2 tbsp
- Tamarind paste -2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder- 1 tbsp
- Pepper powder-2 tbsp
- Juice of 1 lime
- Cinnamon- clove powder -1tbsp
To assemble the dish:
- Onions sliced -3
- Green chillies slit 3-4
- Red capsicum strips -3/4 cup
- Fried curry leaves -2 tbsp
- Take the above masala for the marinade in a bowl and mix well .
- Keep aside 2 tbsp of the marinade mix.
- Marinate the chicken with the remaining masala mix for 30 minutes.
- In hot oil, fry curry leaves till crisp, remove and powder with your fingertips.
- In the remaining oil, fry sliced onions and slit green chillies till brown.
- Add the marinated chicken, sprinkle 3-4 tablespoons of water and cover and cook on a low flame till tender and moist.
- Add the red capsicum strips, stir well and remove.
- Just before serving, garnish with fried curry leaves and serve with roti of your choice.
- Chicken should be cleaned and cut into bite size pieces.
- This dish could also be a starter.
- It is very important that all the water is drained after cleaning the chicken so that marination takes place.
- To make a tablespoon of cinnamon- clove powder, add 2 medium sticks of cinnamon and 6 cloves in a dry jar and grind them to a fine powder.
- Remove the curry leaves from oil before their colour changes.
- This dish serves 10-12.
Have fun cooking. It’s a great stress buster and if you are a chicken-lover, go for it. Could turn out to be the super hero on your table!
Till my next post,