“Anyone can cook but only the fearless can be great.” – Chef Gusteau
Chicken cutlets -everybody’s favourite. Chicken mince or Kheema that is cooked along with an eclectic mix of indian spices, so that the chicken mince absorbs all the different flavours. Mashed potato is added to the mixture, after which it is shaped into cutlets, breaded and deep fried.
Chicken cutlets or chicken patties made without mashed potato can be used for a great chicken burger. If made smaller, it can be used as a snack or starter. Chicken cutlets are crisp on the outside and soft inside. It can be served with either tomato or siracha sauce.
At home, its usually over the weekend when I make cutlets- either fish, chicken or meat. All of us love cutlets – it’s the ideal snack for a rainy day. This particular recipe has a little bit of everything blended and mixed into the mince thoroughly and then cooked. It’s absolutely delicious, so full of flavour and the preparation hardly takes time.
Back home in Kerala, before we all reach home, our help at home, Mary takes all the trouble to make fish and meat cutlets and stores it in the freezer to use later. It’s a favourite with our children too.
The best snack to beat the monsoon blues……………..with a cup of tea perhaps.
Happy to be sharing this recipe,
- Chicken mince – 1/2 kg
- Onion minced -1 small
- Green chilli minced -2 small
- Ginger- garlic paste -1 tbsp
- Coriander powder-1 tsp
- Kashmiri Chilli powder- 1 tsp
- Garam masala -1/2 tsp
- Mint leaves -2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
- Pepper powder-1tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Boiled potatoes – 2 medium
Lightly beaten egg whites – 2
Breadcrumbs to coat
- In a bowl take the washed and cleaned chicken mince, add all the ingredients except the mashed potato and mix well with fingertips till well blended.
- Place the mixture to cook on a medium flame, stir occasionally and remove when cooked and dry. Test for seasoning.
- No water should be added while cooking.
- Place it aside to cool.
- When the chicken mince mixture is warm add the mashed potatoes and mix well.
- If the chicken mixture is not firm enough, you can either place the mixture in the fridge for 1/2 an hour or you could add more bread crumbs (1/2 cup).
- Shape into cutlets, roll them in flour first, dip in beaten egg white, roll in breadcrumbs and let it rest for half an hour in the fridge.
- Deep fry in hot oil till golden brown.
- Remove on to a paper towel/ tissue and serve hot with sauce of your choice.
Chefs tips :
- If using boneless chicken, cook the chicken lightly for 4-5 minutes in a little water ( 4-5 tablespoons) to which salt has been added. Shred the chicken finely and then mix with all the ingredients mentioned above and continue with the method mentioned above.
- When boiling the potatoes do not cut them in half as water could seep in and make the mashed potato moist.
- If the mixture is not firm enough, you can place the mixture in the fridge for up to an hour.
- In the place of breadcrumbs, you could also use cornflake crumbs ( finely powdered).
- Cutlets should be deep fried, the oil should be hot and should cover the cutlet completely.
- This makes 10-12 cutlets and serves 4-5.
Till my next post,