“Cutlets on a plate is – sheer happiness on a plate.”
Who doesn’t like cutlets? They are welcome any time of the day. Cutlets can be made with fish, any kind of meat, mixed vegetables and finally mashed potato to bind it all together. If made smaller, cutlets can be a starter too for any party.
At home, all of us love cutlets – be it vegetarian or otherwise. Of course, the real authentic beef cutlets made at moms place is to die for and all our kids will vouch for that. Me too.
When all of us get together, cutlets are made, plenty of them and put in the freezer prior to our arrival, which makes it easier for Mary, our cook, to just keep out the box for some time- take out each breaded cutlet and deep fry in hot oil.
For fish cutlets, the fish generally used is salmon, tuna, big red snapper, sea- bass and king fish. I use either tuna or Indian salmon for cutlets, the fish is always available and the cutlets come out very well.
Sharing with you my recipe for fish cutlets:
- Fish fillet -3/4 kg
- Potato -2 big
- Chopped onion-2
- Green chilli- 2-3 minced
- Ginger-1inch piece minced fine
- Parsley- 1 tbsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coriander leaves -1or2 sprigs
- Egg -1 beaten lightly
- Breadcrumbs – as required
- Boil fish in lots of water in which, salt, pepper and a sprig of coriander leaves has been added. Flake the fish and debone.You can strain the stock and freeze for further use.
- Boil the potatoes and mash it well.
- In oil, fry minced onion, chilies and minced ginger till the onions are soft and transparent.
- Add fish, chopped parsley and mashed potato.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Form into small balls and shape into an either round or oval shape, you can use a cutter too, and keep aside.
- Coat lightly with flour, dip in beaten egg taken in a small bowl and roll in breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry in hot oil and serve with tomato sauce or coriander chutney.
- The skin of the fish should be removed, the fish should then be washed thoroughly and put to boil. While filleting/ cutting the fish, remove as many bones as possible.
- The bones that you’ve missed can be removed when flaking the fish after cooking.
- You could add the finely chopped parsley into the breadcrumbs or you could add it directly to the fish mixture.
- Cutlets can be formed and breaded and stored in the freezer with butter paper placed in between the layers.
- Enough oil should be poured into the frying pan ( so as to cover the cutlets) and should be hot enough when the cutlets are put in to fry.
- As soon as the cutlets are fried, place them on a tissue to remove the excess oil.
- Fish cutlets/ cakes can be baked too at 200deg.c for 20-25 minutes.
- Serves 6-8 people.
Till my next post,