French toast – the fine art of making a mess.
‘French Toast’ is a classic breakfast dish and is usually made using a day old bread . Since the texture of the bread is dry to a certain extent, it soaks up the milk mixture easily and hence makes it easier to handle . If you want a rich French toast then using brioche bread is the answer. It is rich but fragile. Soaking time of the brioche bread in the egg -milk mixture is only for a few seconds otherwise the slice of bread will give way.
At home, we usually make French Toast on a Sunday – it’s a lazy day- could be for breakfast or even a brunch. All of us love our French Toast – a rash of fried bacon in between takes the French toast to a new level altogether and with some maple syrup poured on the top- it’s just yum! A combination of french Toast, fried bacon and sweet maple syrup. Heaven on earth!
French toast is basically dessert at breakfast time.
Here’s a simple no- fail recipe of French toast:
- Bread – 4-6 slices
- Eggs -3
- Milk -3/4 cup
- Sugar 3- 4tbsp
- Vanilla essence – 2 tsp
- Grated Nutmeg -1 tsp
- Cinnamon powder -2 tsp
- Butter -4 tbsp
- Bacon- 2-3 rashes
- Maple syrup
- Beat the eggs lightly in a flat bowl with the help of a wire whisk.
- Add milk, sugar ,cinnamon and nutmeg powder and beat lightly till well blended.
- Add vanilla essence and mix well.
- Dip the bread in the milk mixture for a few seconds, overturn and dip again.
- In a non- stick frying pan or griddle, melt some butter and carefully transfer the soaked slice of bread and fry for a few minutes till it is golden brown. Repeat with the other slices.
- Carefully arrange on a plate, drizzle some maple syrup on top and serve hot.
- In case only fresh bread is available, dry it up in the oven lightly.
- In case you want orange French toast, substitute half the milk for orange juice and grate some orange zest into the milk mixture.
- Grated nutmeg and cinnamon is essential for a good flavoursome French Toast.
- French toast should be eaten warm .
- You could substitute white sugar for brown sugar.
- French toast can also be served with blueberry/ strawberry compote.
- This serves 2-3 .
Till my next post,