The north- east monsoon has finally arrived in Chennai – it’s all wet and dreary when you look out of the window and it’s going to remain that way for some time. You really want some pakoras, a cup of hot tea and a good book to keep you all warm and cosy. How about some grilled chicken for dinner with roti and Dal? It’s quick, easy, tasty and healthy !
Grilled chicken – definitely a family favourite and a big crowd puller. A good alternative to tandoori chicken. I remember when I visited Dubai last year, at a mall I came across a lovely Arabic spice masala mix for grilled chicken – so, so flavourful and awesome. I bought back nearly a kilo – you just had to smell the spice rub to make up your mind – whether you wanted to pick it up or not? Just smear it on the chicken, leave to marinate overnight and grill. After nearly 10 months it got over last week- have to get some more soon!
All of us at home love grilled chicken- it’s easy, less oil, no fuss and packed with flavour. For my children specially – grilled chicken is a must -atleast once a week. Marinade could range from a tandoori masala to a spice rub to a green coriander and mint mix .
This grilled coriander chicken is a recipe I always do when I have fresh coriander at home. It’s just so moist and honestly speaking you really just need a salad to go with it and some mint chutney.
Well, sharing a lovely recipe with you,
- Chicken -1 kg cut into 8-10 pieces
- Curd-1/2 cup
- Kashmiri chilli powder – 2 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Ginger- garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – 1/2 a bunch cut fine
- Lime juice of 1 lime
- Garam Masala- 1 tbsp
- Kasturi Methi – 2 tbsp ( roasted and crushed)
- Oil/ ghee -1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds -1/2tsp ( roasted and powdered)
- Cummin seeds- 1/2 tsp (roasted and powdered)
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Wash and pat dry the chicken pieces.
- In half a cup of thick curd – take all the ingredients ( except coriander and methi) and mix well.
- Smear over the chicken pieces thickly, add the coriander and methi and leave to marinate overnight.
- You can grill this chicken in an oven -180 deg.c for 35-40 minutes or you could barbecue, you could also cook the chicken in a grill pan.
- I usually grill this chicken in an open grill.
- The chicken pieces should be at room temperature.
- Marinated chicken should be placed in the refrigerator.
- Before you place the pieces on the grill, lightly brush the grill with oil to avoid any sticking problem.
- The grill should be hot so that once the chicken pieces are placed on the grill, due to the high heat the juices will be sealed in immediately and the chicken can be easily turned over.
- There should be a balance in flavour and the pieces should NOT be turned frequently, once they are placed on the grill.
- You have to be patient, to test whether it is cooked- insert a skewer in the middle or cut through the center of the piece to see if it is still pink.
- Serve the grilled chicken with some garlic bread/ roti.
- This serves 4-6.
“My mom taught me how to grill chicken, and I bake too. -Rico Rodriguez
Till my next post,