“Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest Carrot cake, Zucchini bread and Pumpkin pie.”
Carrot cake – a rich texture from the grated carrots and nuts, not overtly spicy and incredible easy – this just about sums up this delicious carrot cake. My children are crazy about carrot cake and every time I make a carrot cake I try out different variations- could be a generous addition of grated lime zest or it could be half a cup of shredded coconut, even the addition of a quarter cup of caramel takes this cake to a new level.
Unless it’s a special occasion, I usually go in for a light orange frosting on top, could be also just icing sugar dusted on top.
If the need arises, then it’s a cream cheese frosting that I serve along side the carrot cake so you can have a choice – plain or otherwise? But, if you ask me I love carrot cake with a drizzle of fresh orange juice frosting -irresistible ! I love baking cakes – trying out different flavours and different combinations is my kind of stress buster over the weekend – the smallest amount of butter I’ve used is 50 GMs and all you get is a 300 go cake when baked – I have cake tins and mugs of all sizes to help me out. I have my mom to thank – it all depends on your teacher and how you were taught. My mom was the best teacher ever. When I go down to sit with her and when she tastes my cake – I wait for her to say something and when she says -‘ not too sweet Rosie, it’s very soft ” she’s made my day and all I can say is ‘thank you mom’. To sit back and think of all the cakes and desserts she used to bake for us kids – time has flown, the years have gone by and the wooden spatula has been handed over……….. Memories…….. sometimes it just hits you. No one can take them away.
Sharing my carrot cake recipe with all of you,
- Any vegetable oil-1 cup
- Brown sugar -3/4 cup
- White sugar -3/4 cup
- Eggs -2
- Flour – 2 cups
- Baking powder- 2 tsp
- Baking soda -1 tsp
- Salt -1 tsp
- Grated/ minced carrot -2 cups
- Cashewnuts/ walnuts chopped-1 cup
- Cinnamon powder-2 tsp
- Ginger minced -1 tsp
- Vanilla essence -2 tsp
- Raisins chopped-1/2 cup ( optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg.c for 15 minutes.
- Blitz both the sugars for a couple of seconds in the mixie and keep aside.
- Sift flour with baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon powder and salt. Mix well.
- Take oil in a bowl, add sugars and beat well till smooth and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Add vanilla essence.
- Add grated/ minced carrot, chopped cashewnuts and ginger minced.
- Finally add the flour mixture and mix well.
- Pour the cake batter into a greased and dusted cake tin and bake at 180 deg.c for 40-45 minutes.
- Let it cool completely before removing from the cake tin.
- Drizzle with orange frosting and serve.
Method for Orange Frosting:
To 2 cups of icing sugar, add 2-3 tablespoons of orange juice, mix well and keep aside for 10-15 minutes. Drizzle on top of the cake with the help of a spoon. You could add more icing sugar to get the desired consistency. A tinge of orange food colour or a 1/4 tsp of orange essence could be added to enhance the colour/flavour.
- Vegetable oil cannot be substituted for butter.
- The moistness of the cake depends on the moisture content of the carrots.
- If the carrots are fresh and juicy, one and a half cups of grated carrot should do.
- If the batter is too loose do not hesitate to add 1/2 a cup of flour.
- You could add 2tbsps of caramel syrup to the batter for added flavour.
- Usually carrot cake is served with a cream cheese frosting, but this orange frosting is lighter and refreshing.
Till my next post,