“There is nothing in this world that can’t be solved without butter paneer masala and paranthas.”
Paneer or cottage cheese has a dedicated fan following in India itself and I confess my family too are hard core paneer fans. I guess it’s all about the multiple ways one can make use of this indispensable protein . This is one protein that tastes great and is at the same time healthy too . Rich in calcium and easy to digest paneer can be grilled, baked or even just added to a rich gravy. Basically, paneer is an all-rounder and tastes good in any form it is prepared.
At home we buy paneer atleast once a week and special attention is paid to its preparation, it has to be something new every week. If it’s a tikka one week, then it’s a bake the following week- so far so good! Coming to this recipe, some time back I had made a paneer tikka with green masala and it was a big hit. With the same flavour in mind I decided to do a proper paneer dish, adding onions, cream and a sprinkle of Garam masala on top before serving . This is just an awesome dish- you can get the freshness of coriander and mint, the tanginess of the lime juice added,the richness of cashewnuts and cream and above all the fragrance of the Garam masala – everything just blends in and the whole dish sings in unison!
Happy to be sharing this very tasty recipe with you,
- Paneer- 250 GMs
- Onions sliced -2
- Coriander leaves -1 bunch
- Mint leaves – a handful
- Green chillies -4
- Cashewnuts -1/4 cup
- Curd-1/4 cup
- Ginger- garlic paste -2 tsp
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Sugar – a pinch
- Cream-1/2 cup
- Garam masala powder -1 and a 1/2 tsp
- Butter-2 tbsp
- Oil -2 tbsp
- Soak paneer in hot water for a couple of minutes. Remove and cut into cubes.
- Grind all the ingredients to a paste except the onions.
- Add half the paste to the paneer cubes and keep aside for 1/2 an hour.
- In a little butter and oil, fry the sliced onion till light brown.
- Add the other half of the masala paste and sauté for a few minutes. Do not cover.
- Add cream and blend well.
- Add the marinated paneer, half a cup of water and mix well.
- Cover with a lid for 2-3 minutes. Remove the cover and stir once more.
- Sprinkle with Garam masala .
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve with Naan. ( recipe here).
- Paneer should always be soaked in hot water before cooking.
- Do not add any water while grinding the leaves and rest of the ingredients to a paste.
- You can always substitute cream with milk.
- The sole aim is to retain the fresh green colour of the leaves right through cooking time.
- Do not add water while cooking too.
- A little bit of sliced capsicum throw in along with the sliced onions adds on to the flavour of the dish.
- This serves 2-3.
Do try out the dishes and send me your feedback , would love to hear from you.
Till my next post ,