In this post we are going to indulge in one of the most popular, versatile and ever so humble ingredient all of us love – Paneer
The bitter hints of methi leaves cooked in a tangy tomato based gravy along with cubes of paneer soaking in the richness of cashewnut paste brings the whole dish together to make it one of the tastiest Paneer dishes ever. Easy and delicious. The perfect accompaniment to rotis, parathas or even a simple Pulao. All the ingredients are easily available in the kitchen and it’s stress free.
I may be repeating myself but as a family we like any dish that has paneer in it. Be it a curry or a tikka or a bake or something as simple as a paneer pakora – at home I have to cook paneer at least twice a week and it has to be GOOD. Will be sharing more recipes with paneer along the way.
For now, one of my favourites,
- Paneer-250 GMs
- Methi-3 bunches
- Onion-2 minced
- Ginger- garlic paste -1 tbsp
- Green chilli minced-2 tbsp
- Coriander powder -2 tsp
- Kashmiri Chilli powder -1and a 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder-1 tsp
- Cummin powder-1/2 tsp
- Tomato purée-3 tbsp
- Cashewnut paste -4 tbsp cashewnuts with 2 tbsp water
- Milk-1/2 cup
- Water-1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Ghee/ any vegetable oil
- Cut paneer into cubes, soak in hot water and keep aside.
- Clean methi leaves thoroughly in lots of water, chop and keep aside.
- In a little oil/ ghee, add chopped onion and fry till translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and fry well.
- Add green chilli minced and sauté.
- Add the chopped methi leaves and fry well.
- Add all the powders and tomato purée, sauté well and cover.
- Once the oil droplets appear, add cashewnut paste, milk and water and bring to a boil.
- Squeeze out the excess water, add paneer cubes and let it simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add a tablespoon of cream to the dish.
- Remove and serve with roti of your choice.
- Check the date when buying paneer, it should be as recent as possible.
- Soaking the paneer in hot water is to keep it soft.
- Any green leaves to be used have to be thoroughly washed 3-4 times before chopping.
- In case fresh methi is not available you can add Kasturi methi too.
- For 3 bunches of fresh methi, you can add 4 tbsp of roasted dry Kasturi methi.
- You can substitute paneer for fresh peas too. (250 GMs)
- This dish serves 4-6 people.
“There is nothing in this world that cannot be solved over butter paneer and parathas.”
Till my next post,
Looks very delicious
LikeLiked by 1 person