“True happiness is whiskey and tandoori chicken.”
Tandoori chicken – flavourful, spicy, smoky chicken loved by millions all over the world. It’s the perfect dish to introduce you to the world of Indian spices. When grilled, the chicken is soft, succulent and flavoursome. I make grilled chicken very often as all you need is some dal and salad and some roti to go with it. All I have to do is marinate the chicken and keep it aside. I love playing around with different marinades – sometimes I try a green chutney marinade or a marinade with just readymade chicken masala and curd, or it could be a marinade into which a spoon of barbecue sauce is added. Whatever may be the marinade, the chicken should be marinated for at least two hours or overnight for a good result.
Happy to be sharing this recipe,
- Chicken boneless -1/2 kg
- Ginger- garlic- green chilli paste- 2 tbsp
- Curd -3 tbsp
- Kashmiri chilli powder or cayenne pepper – 2 tbsp
- Jeera powder-1 tsp
- Coriander powder-1 ts
- Turmeric powder-1 tsp
- Tandoori chicken masala -2 tbsp
- Garam masala -1 tbsp
- Lime juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- Orange red colour
- Ghee to brush
Roasted Kasturi methi leaves, lime wedges and onion rings
- All the powders have to be lightly roasted and then added to the curd.
- To the boneless chicken add all the ingredients except ghee and marinate overnight.
- Preheat your grill or barbecue to 200 deg.c.
- Brush the marinated chicken with ghee on both sides.
- Place your marinated chicken in the grill/ barbeque and grill each side for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Care should be taken to see that the chicken does not dry out. If the need arises, baste with more ghee.
- Garnish with lemon wedges, roasted methi powder and onion rings.
- Serve with chutney/ raita of your choice.
- Always use chicken that weighs around a kilogram.
- Cooking time depends on the size of the chicken.
- In case you do not have an oven/ barbecue, you could also grill the chicken in a grill pan over the flame.
- The same marinade could be used to rub a whole chicken and grill.
- I usually serve this with a thick grated cucumber raita or a mint chutney.
- This serves 6-8.
Till my next post,