This is a deceptively simple dish. It’s a bake with a combination of flavours you will love. This particular bake has a surprising twist to it- fried, crispy onions as a topping! I am sure this bake will definitely please you and your family. It is the perfect one-dish dinner- no accompaniments needed. From start to finish –this bake takes about an hour or so to prepare (inclusive of cooking time). It’s fast and easy and it’s a delicious bake to serve for dinner any night of the week.
I love Christmas and being a part of a big, wonderful family- a family that comes together every Christmas- year after year makes it all the more special. Christmas 2016 was memorable. There were around 30 of us at home this year. For my parents – this year was special – their great grandchildren all the way from US were part of the celebration. Unforgettable …….
Well, meals had to be planned carefully – had to be simple and fast. This particular bake was made with one and a half kilos of shredded chicken. Two huge trays wiped clean –well worth the effort. I was a happy soul. From Sid, my grandnephew – who is little over a year old, to my dad – everybody enjoyed this bake – so full of flavor.
Happy to be sharing this recipe with you
- Chicken -1/2kg
- Any pasta -1 cup
- Capsicum – 1 each of red, green and yellow
- Crispy bacon bits-1 cup
- Onions sliced: 2-3
- Onions minced – 2
- Garlic cloves: 6-8
- Flour: 2-3 tbsp
- Milk -2 cups
- Oregano and Parsley to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Butter and any Vegetable oil
- Cook the boneless chicken in a litre of water to which salt and pepper has been added. Shred the chicken with a pair of kitchen scissors and keep aside.
- Bring lots of water to boil, add pasta and cool on a high flame for 10-12 minutes. Drain under cold water, sprinkle a teaspoon of oil over the pasta and mix lightly. Keep aside.
- Mince all the three capsicums. Keep aside a tablespoon of each.
- Fry sliced onions till golden brown and crisp. Keep aside.
- Mince garlic cloves.
- In a mixture of butter and oil, fry the minced garlic till fragrant.
- Add the minced onions and fry well.
- Add the minced capsicums and crispy bacon bits and mix well.
- Add the shredded chicken and pasta and mix well.
- Add oregano, parsley, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add flour and mix well.
- To the chicken mixture add 2 cups of milk and bring to a boil.
- Stir continuously till thick. Check for seasoning.
- Pour into a buttered dish, sprinkle fried onions, minced capsicum that was kept aside and bake in a preheated oven 180 deg.c for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with hot garlic bread.
- The water in which the chicken was cooked can be used as a stock for making soup.
- To fry the sliced onions faster, sprinkle some salt after you put the onions in.
- This whole bake was put in a single dish, including the white sauce – if you want to make the white sauce separately, please do so and add the chicken mixture to the sauce. Mix well.
- Keep tasting while cooking.
- This bake serves 3-4.
Cooking is the art of adjustment. –Jacques Pepin
Till my next post,